Re: Limit *sum* of upstream plus downstream?

On 03/12/12 03:31 AM, Andy Furniss wrote:
Jack Bates wrote:
On 27/11/12 01:51 PM, Andy Furniss wrote:
Jack Bates wrote:
How can I limit the *sum* of upstream plus downstream traffic on my WAN
interface (eth0.2) to < 1.5mbit? (in order to "own" my queue)

Unless you have a half duplex wan and I don't understand why you would
need to limit the sum of up and down.

Thanks Andy, our subscription is for 1.5mbit, and our traffic graphs
show that the sum of our upstream and downstream is never more than
1.5mbit. When the connection is saturated and one goes up, the other
goes down.

OK, so what is the nature/bandwidth of the link - this can affect what
you need to do WRT rates.

If your ISP is artificially limiting you to half duplex and the link is
full duplex/higher bandwidth you may be able to push the rates a bit
higher than if the limits were the link and depending on what the ISP
does buffering/latency may be less of an issue.

It's possible due to acks getting buffered to see uploads affecting
download speed even on full duplex links. You can avoid this using tc.

Thanks, I checked our subscription and it's for 1.5mbit *full duplex*. Our graphs of total internet traffic (ntop) show flat tops at about 1.5mbit, and our graphs of up/downstream internet traffic (Cacti) show an inverse relationship, so I assumed that we're not getting what is advertised (unfortunately we have limited alternatives) but maybe this inverse relationship is due to acks getting buffered.

Our ISP is in Kigali and is connected by shared fiber optics to the closest city (Rwamagana). We have a dedicated, 10km wireless connection to Rwamagana. So I think the segment between our router and our ISP is > 1.5mbit (we can apparently order at least 3mbit without otherwise upgrading our connection)

> What do you want to achieve with your shaping?

My goal is to prioritize "high priority, "low priority", and "other" traffic.

My second goal is to achieve per-host fairness, so one host doesn't grab the available bandwidth with a download manager.

I can imagine future refinements, but I need to achieve these two goals first.