Again strangness on fragmentation...

I've to come back on this topic. ;(

I've recently upgrade by firewall (debian box) both on hardware (from
old PIII/PII pc to modern compact server) and on software (from debian
lenny ot debian squeeze).
These box are used as firewall, gateway and to handle openvpn tunnels.
I handle priorization and shaping with fwmark and htb, using custom
scripts. I've ecn enabled.

After the upgrade, all communication using the openvpn tunnels that
rely on big data transfer (http, https, imaps, scp, ...) stalls.
I've done:

1) effectively i was filtering icmp on openvpn tunnels, but enable icmp
 does not solve the trouble (probably make it behave better).

2) i've enabled/disabled ecn, no change

3) i've enabled/disabled marking, no change

4) i've tried to clamp MTU/MSS, but even using ridiculous size (500byte)
 does not solve.

Lastly i've disabled ''tc'' (priorization/shaping), and i've found that
if i disable shaping on eth0 (LAN interface) problem desappeared.

I know that shaping on eth0, using as bandwidth 100Mbit/s, does not
make much sense, but i've enabled it because ''will not hurt'', and in
these years i've had no trouble at all.

So, i'm very curious about the source of this trouble.

Could be a software (kernel 3.6.32) trouble? or an hardware (Broadcom
Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe) trouble?
What changed in my setup that make this massive traffic drop?

Thanks.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php