Re: Fair que between 255 users

Peter V. Saveliev wrote:

simply sfq -- is enough, isn't it?

sfq is great actually, but it works for connections. If you have say 10 users and 9 of them each have 1 active ftp RETR connections but the 10th user has 100 active ftp RETR connections, then he gets 99,9% of traffic, doesn't he? (just an example)

I think what the GP is looking for, as am I, is a simple way of giving each user an equal share of the bandwidth.

This can be achieved for example by hundreds of HTB classes. But that's the rub. I have 20 /24 internal networks which amounts to a maximum of 5000+ unique IP's which DHCP gives out. There are only about 500 active users though and the total number of users (active at least once a month) is probably around 1000.

I don't think it makes sense to create 5000 htb leaf classes and let them all borrow from each other. 90% of them would be _only_ lending and 10% would be fighting over who gets the small bit of it.

What I'm looking for is something like the ISP's use. Like sfq which creates fair queues per connections pools where each pool is a bunch of connections from/to the same IP addr. Is there something like this for linux?

--
Aleksander Kamenik
system administrator

Krediidiinfo AS