Re: One machine, two net feeds, outbound route selection

On 10/25/07, Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I can't bind Sendmail's outgoing SMTP client mailer to a specific
>> interface, because it has to be able to forward mail on to inside
>> systems, too.
>
> Of course you can. Remember that the kernel knows about both networks ...

  Hmmm.  You're right, of course.  And even better, it worked when I
tried it.  ;)  Thanks!

  Now, for the sake of knowledge, let us say that a piece of needed
software didn't have an option to bind to a specific interface.  Would
it be possible to control the outgoing route/interface anyway, by
using iptables or some other mechanism external to the software?  For
example, what if Sendmail didn't have a ClientPortOptions directive
(heh, I know, use Postfix, but work with me here)?

  And remember: This is for something running on the gateway, not
forwarding packets received from another machine.  :)

  (No, I don't presently have such a piece of software, but I'd like to know.)

  Thanks again, either way!

-- Ben