One machine, two net feeds, outbound route selection

Hello, world!

  Sorry to subscribe to the list only to immediately ask a question,
but this one's got me scratching my head and I can't find the answer
in the archives, the HOWTO, or on the web.  Maybe I'm just asking the
wrong question.

  Anyway, our Internet gateway is a Linux box.  We've got two Internet
feeds, a fast one from a crummy provider, and a slower one from a good
provider.  The goal is to control which feed gets used on a
per-service basis.  For the most part, I've been pretty successful at
this, and it's worked well.  Score one for the good guys.

  However, I'm having trouble trying to get Sendmail -- which is
running on the gateway box itself -- to use the good provider when it
tries to deliver mail.  (If we use the crummy provider, too many
others reject us as a likely spammer.)

  I found plenty of docs that tell me what to do if Sendmail is
running on a different box -- just select packets using iptables as
they come in, fwmark them, and then use a routing rule to put them
into the appropriate routing table.  This is conceptually easy,
because the packets would already have well-defined characteristics.

  The problem is that Sendmail is running on the gateway itself.  I
don't know how to tell the system what to select.  The packets won't
have IP address or interface info yet, because they haven't gone
through the kernel router yet.  Right?  And once they've gone through
the kernel router, it's too late to try and pick the route they'll
use.  Right?  Catch-22?

  I can't bind Sendmail's outgoing SMTP client mailer to a specific
interface, because it has to be able to forward mail on to inside
systems, too.

  I can think of all sorts of possible combinations of iptables
options I might try (table, chain, interface, TCP port, etc.), but
there are literally hundreds of permutations.  Trial-and-error doesn't
seem like a good way to do this.  Especially since it's a production
box.  I tried a few ideas and got nowhere useful.

  Does someone here already know the answer?

Environment:
- CentOS 5
- kernel 2.6.18-8.1.10.el5
- iptables 1.3.5-1.2.1
- iproute 2.6.18-4.el5
- Both feeds connect to the gateway with plain old IP-over-Ethernet
- Static IP addresses for both feeds
- LAN is NAT'ed and using a 10/8 private subnet
- Successfully using multiple routing tables, iptables, and/or
interface-bindings to select route/feed for most services

  advTHANKSance!

-- Ben