Re: using tc to drop packets based on the diffserc or tos value

Hi Michal,

Can i user filter on the default qdisc attached on the eth0.If then how? (although i read somewhere that there is very little customization that we can do the default qdisc)?

Yes, default qdisc - pfifo_fast - is pretty limited, with 3 bands assigned to specific tos values' combinations.

If i used some classful qdisc than how would i restore my default setting?

Just delete the new qdisc you created, you will go back to pfifo_fast.

Do we have better way achieving the same?

Well, HFSC or HTB would be a good choice, with SFQ or ESFQ attached to the leafs (if i.e. using classes per groups of users).

Can you suggest me some useful tutorials?

In no particular order (and not necessarily related to your questions):

1) Information about extended tc actions (mirred, ipt, ...) :

iproute2 tarball -> doc/actions

remark: currently it seems, that if you use more than 1 ipt
action in a filter rules, tc will segfault

Also look for info in Russel's docs

2) Excellent Russel's set of docs

http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/tc/doc/

remark: contrary to other sources of info (i.e. lartc howto), the u32 docs here are superbly accurate and (almost) complete.

minor missing info in u32:
  indev purpose (?)
  mark match (this one is simple, i.e. tc .... u32 match mark 1 flowid X:Y -
    - note that flowid/classid must be last here, or tc will complain).
  dscp can be used instead of tos

3) LARTC howto

http://lartc.org/#download

Pretty old, plenty of info, also plenty of missing info, and some
(like u32) leaving a LOT of important details (almost plain wrong).

4) iproute+tc notes

http://snafu.freedom.org/linux2.2/iproute-notes.html

Also can be found in iproute tarball. Missing info remarks as in 3)

5) Traffic control howto

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/index.html

6) Linux policy routing

http://www.policyrouting.org/PolicyRoutingBook/ONLINE/TOC.html

7) ip command reference

http://linux-ip.net/gl/ip-cref/

8) some elementary classification info (BASIC)

http://marc.info/?l=lartc&m=117569441229800&w=2

9) some discussion with plenty of good info related to HFSC

http://marc.info/?t=107799591400001&r=1&w=2

10) other HFSC documentation info

http://linux-ip.net/articles/hfsc.en/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~istoica/hfsc-tr.ps.gz (good, but detailed and long)
http://www.sonycsl.co.jp/~kjc/software/TIPS.txt (note that *BSD's HFSC
  implementation, is a bit different (no concave curves, 80% limit on
  realtime, ...). Good simple overview, but be careful.

11) marc.info, google, ...