Re: htb : server trafficcontrol

On 16 Sep 2007, marek@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Suppose we have simple router with upstream interface connected
> to internet (eth0) and downstream interface connected to lan (eth1).
> Lan uses private addressing so there is NAT rule used for traffic
> leaving eth0.
>
> You can redirect lan->internet traffic from ingress qdisc
> of eth1 to ifb0. Traffic on ifb0 will be in "before-nat" state, so
> private address based shaping will be possible. So no need for
> classifying de-nated traffic.

Yes, this is of course possible. But then you don't shape the traffic
from/to the server itself which is what the original poster wants to do.

> Some people here on lartc list shared opinions that shaping in ingress
> is not effective. It worked for me well on routers with hundreds of
> clients.

It works for me quite well, too. (And IMHO would work really well if ECN
would be in widespread use)
(using IMQ + kernel 2.6.18 - as long as nobody floods me with UDP
packets ;-)

Greetings
Jens