Re: Question about how TC enforces bandwidth limiting

David Boreham wrote:

I do have one question though. On the egress shaping on eth1 (LAN interface), when using iptables I should do everything in the POSTROUTING chain correct? That way it gets routed to the proper LAN node and still gets shaped, correct? If thats the case, I can have a setup working in no time (I hope).
Well now it's my turn to be confused ! What's the connection between
iptables and your traffic shaping setup ? Are you marking packets for
shaping, something like that ? If so I have no idea. My routing and
shaping are completely separate and unrelated in any way (I use
tc filter to classify packets).

iptables (I forget what version onward supports this) has the ability to classify packets that it routes via -j CLASSIFY --set-class X:Y. For all intents and purposes, this is the same as -j MARK --set-mark X. Basically, it allows a user to use iptables to do the actual classification of the packet. For an example, take a look at: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.fullnat.intro.html, http://www.stanford.edu/~fenn/linux/ (this is the tutorial I base my iptables and tc rules on)

I am not familiar enough with tc filter syntax to brave it yet. Hence my use of iptables to classify packets, which I think is much easier anyways.

I was simply asking whether I would classify the packets in PREROUTING, OUTPUT, or POSTROUTING. I assume OUTPUT or POSTROUTING will let me achieve my goals with respect to egress on eth1. Guess it's time to enter my dark age of tc+iptables. :P

Sorry if I confused you with my question. It's the only way I know how to traffic shape (so far).

Vadtec