Re: tc not matching

Hi Jonathan,

On 31 Aug 2007, jonathan.gazeley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks a bunch for your help - really good of you to put time into
> helping a newbie.
>
> Andy Furniss wrote:
>> Rather than police you could, if using recentish 2.6 use ifb and
>> have the same setup on ingress eth0. Or if you don't do nat on the
>> same box on the wan. If you do do nat and don't have ifb then you
>> need to use netfilter to mark by ip and match the marks.
>
> This box is also a NAT box, so I'll do marking with iptables to sort
> the incoming traffic. I read about it somewhere on Google so I'm sure
> I can manage! If I'm marking packets with iptables, would it be better
> to shape them as they leave on the internal interface, rather than
> doing something with ingress on the external interface?

As long as you do not want to shape traffic from/to the box itself, the
easiest solution is to shape on egress (at least if you only have two
interfaces).

If you want to also shape traffic from/to the box itself and don't do NAT,
you can use ifb. ifb is a pseudo device you can redirect incoming
traffic to, using tc. then you can attach egress qdisc to that pseudo
device.

If you want to also shape traffic from/to the box itself and do NAT, you
still have to use IMQ (http://www.linuximq.net/) - I think. The latest
kernel I have good results with IMQ ist 2.6.18.

Greetings
Jens