Re: tc not matching

Hi Andy,

Thanks a bunch for your help - really good of you to put time into helping a newbie.

Andy Furniss wrote:
I managed to have a play - CBQ doesn't seem too accurate it let netperf get throughput of about 180kbit. HTB was OK so I used that.
I was only using CBQ because that's what was being used in the tutorials and howtos I looked at - there doesn't seem to be a massive amount of documentation out there. My script was basically a copy & paste job... If you recommend HTB then I'll give it a try.
If you have a multicore/smp CPU you shouldn't use CPU as a clocksource. I don't know how much memory this does/could use, if you don't specify child qdiscs htb uses pfifos with a length taken from txqueuelen (1000 on eth) so that adds up to quite a bit. With window scaling on and a netperf running for each IP I managed to backlog >200 packets on each.
It runs on relatively sporty hardware and doesn't do anything other than NAT and shaping, so I don't think memory usage is really a problem. It has dual processors so I guess that means I shouldnt use CPU as a clocksource.
Rather than police you could, if using recentish 2.6 use ifb and have the same setup on ingress eth0. Or if you don't do nat on the same box on the wan. If you do do nat and don't have ifb then you need to use netfilter to mark by ip and match the marks.
This box is also a NAT box, so I'll do marking with iptables to sort the incoming traffic. I read about it somewhere on Google so I'm sure I can manage! If I'm marking packets with iptables, would it be better to shape them as they leave on the internal interface, rather than doing something with ingress on the external interface?

What is ifb? For once, Google doesn't seem to turn up much.

Cheers,
Jonathan