Re: Dead Gateway Detection & BGP

After talking with a colleague on the ethics of this message I (/ we) decided that I needed to make the same offer to everyone on this mailing list that I privately made to Rangi Biddle.

The company that I work for is in business to do many different things, included in which is helping with specialized configurations like I believe that Rangi Biddle is needing. As such I offered to consult with Rangi Biddle for $1/min on what my company has done in the past to generate complete solutions not just pieces of the puzzle leaving Rangi Biddle to put them together on his own.

I my self and the company that I work for want to offer as much back to the community as it has offered to us. As such I / we are willing to help point people in the right direction and show them some of the pieces to the puzzle. However business being what it is I am not allowed to always provide the entire step by step how to guide for many different things. My company has invested time and money in to being able to provide solutions using open source products for such things as load balancing a medium size network across multiple cable modems, redundant fail over routing for globally routable addresses, down to segmenting a multi tenant building so that tenants can not cross infect each other while sharing one single IP subnet.

I am curious what the community's reaction is to this and ask for and encourage responses with regards to when is it appropriate for individuals / companies to move from "free to the public" support to "reasonable rate commercial support".

I apologize if my actions offended any one. However, please if they did, contact me either on or off list as I would like to know why they did.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Grant Taylor
Systems Administrator
Riverview Technologies Inc.
2311 East Walnut
Columbia MO  65201
United States of America

Phone:  +1 (573) 442-7151
  Fax:  +1 (573) 442-3062
eMail:  gtaylor (at) riverviewtech (dot) net