Re: bonding tap devices

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:38:04 +0300
Anton Glinkov <lartc@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Why don't you just use bridging with spanning tree?
> Will achieve exactly the thing you need.
>
> 1. Create br0 on both machines
> 2. Turn on spanning tree on br0
> 3. Choose one of them to be root
> 4. Assign tap0 and tap1 to br0 (tap0 having lower path cost)
> that's it.

Hmm, "keep things as simple as possible, but not any simpler", Einstein
once said :-)

> Or just check if there is some kind of backup option in openvpn - to
> start a tunnel to another host if the primary one fails...
> Can't help you here - I've never used openvpn.

There is an option in the 2.1 version which is called "multihome" and
"float" (IIRC), but switching (almost) instantly from one server
address to another is not workable as there is a hardcoded timeout
(AFAIK).

> Bonding is used for combining interfaces with equal bandwidth and IMO
> will have unpredicted consequences in your scenario :-)

Not as long as I use failover only ;-)

But I'll try the stp option tomorrow. It's beer time here :-)

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.