Re: tc n00b

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks very much for your help - the script is now working. The downlink shaping works as expected, but the uplink shaping seems to give 4 times more bandwidth than it ought to - so I've just divided the number by 4 and it is satisfactory.

However, I've now discovered that pings from one of my shaped NAT clients, to another LAN machine that usually take <1ms, now take ~3500ms when I am using the bandwidth. How can I avoid these enormous queues?

I have cc'd the list in case anyone else has an idea. Have a good weekend everyone!

Cheers,
Jonathan

------------------------
Jonathan Gazeley
Wireless & VPN Team
Information Systems & Computing
University of Bristol
------------------------

Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
Hey,
sorry for delay. I had some issues with my primary
internet connection and had to change the primary mail
host as well.

I looked at the script.

Looks totally fine to me.

If you are not sure where exactly the problem lies,
try adding ONLY the ingress rules. Test it, see if it
works. Then tweak if needed the script you sent to me.

tc qdisc add dev $LAN ingress handle ffff:
tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 2
u32 match ip src IPHERE police rate ${UPLINK}kbit
burst 16kb drop flowid ffff:

Cheers,
-Nik