Re: Load Balance and SNAT problem.

Thanks for your advices.

Currently my test scripts will make both WAN connections break, when I unplug one WAN connection.
So I can not implement the fail-over mechanism.
My original idea is to mark all packets as 1 when connection WAN2 breaks or mark all packets as 2 when connection WAN1 breaks.
But now one connection breaks will make both connections break.
I could not identify which connection breaks? It is weird. ><"

Grant Taylor wrote:

>> Could you give me a suggestion?
>> Thanks.
>
> Do not use this method to load balance.  Look in to Equal Cost Multi
> Path (a.k.a. ECMP) routing and specifying multiple default gateways on
> one route command.  The kernel should try to load balance across the
> multiple default gateways for you while maintaining connections.

This is a bad bad advice in this day and age. If there are not enough
users route caching will kill him. Here is a recent discussion of this:
http://marc.info/?l=lartc&m=117912699505681&w=2

HTH

Peter

P.S. I am not insisting that netfilter is superior in this regard, I am
simply expressing common requirements and looking into ways of achieving
them. If someone can point me to how to do this with kernel routes - I
am all ears, since I recognize that the netfilter solution is not very
elegant, although it works.