RED to use ECN (or work at all?)

Dear Community,

sorry for the somewhat dumb question. Maybe someone has any pointer to how to setup the RED queue to mark pakets with ECN. In particular what are appropriate parameter settings for limit, min, max, etc.

All my trials end up with either "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument", although the command line (at least for me) looks fine in regard to what is said on the man page.

"tc qdisc replace dev lo red limit 10kb min 2kb max 8kb avpkt 1000 burst 12 ecn" being one such example.

I am using kernel version 2.6.16.29 and the most recent iproute2 package.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel