RE: Routing NDAS ?

[mailto:lartc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] >On Behalf Of Grant Taylor
>Sent: 22 June 2007 22:45
>To: Mail List - Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control
>Subject: Re:  Routing NDAS ?
>
>On 06/22/07 16:31, Andrew Lyon wrote:
>> the two segments are linked by a linux box that is doing routing and
>> proxy arp,
>
>Please bridge and do not use Proxy ARP.  Or if you really want to use
>Proxy ARP make sure that you are only Proxy ARPing for the MAC
addresses
>of the NDAS device(s) and the client(s) that need to connect to it.

Are you saying that there is something wrong with proxy arp? So far it
works fine for us, we have 5 segments and approx 150 nodes.

Ndas devices don't work with proxy arp, bridge would, but at the moment
we are a 24/7 operation and making the necessary config changes for
bridge would be disruptive.

I will probably end up doing it, but I would like to know if there is
any alternative..

Andy

>> can anybody suggest a way that I could access the ndas devices,

>Set up a bridging router (a.k.a. brouter) to bridge all layer 2 traffic

>except for IP (and a few other select protocols) traffic.  You may only

>want to bridge traffic that is from the NDAS and or its client(s) and
>route the rest (DROP in the BROUTING chain of the broute table).

Grant. . . .
Registered Office: J.O. Sims Ltd, Pudding Lane, Pinchbeck, Spalding, Lincs. PE11 3TJ
Company reg No: 2084187 Vat reg No: GB 437 4621 47
Tel: +44 (0) 1775 842100 Fax: +44 (0) 1775 842101 Web: www.josims.com
Email:enquiries@xxxxxxxxxx
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent. If you are not the intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the company. No commitment may be inferred from the contents unless explicitly stated. The company does not take any responsibility for the personal views of the author. This message has been scanned for viruses before sending, but the company does not accept any responsibility for infection and recommends that you scan any attachments.JOSEDV001TAG