Re: vlan interfaces and tc

Hi,

>Hello
>
>I have few questions regarding tc functionality (qdiscs, classes, etc.) when
>vlans are in use. For example, consider interface eth0, for which I create
>and extra vlan with vconfig, let's say eth0.11. Then using tc I can add
>usual things - qdiscs, filters, ... - to both eth0 and eth0.11. The
>questions are:
>
>- on which interface - virtual or real, should I actually use tc ?

It depends on what you want to control.

The QoS you configure on the VLAN interface is only enforced for the
traffic that goes through the VLAN interface.
(Note that in this case the VLAN interface is a L3 interface).

The QoS you configure on the real interface is enforced for all the
traffic that goes through that interface (regardless of whether it
is injected through a virtual interface).

> Or are either of them allowed, depending on what I need ?

Yes they are both allowed.
This means, for example, that the traffic that originates from
or that is addressed to a VLAN interface can potentially go through
two independent QoS configurations.
Depending on what you want to achieve, you may configure QoS
only on the VLAN interface, only on the real interface, or
on both.

> If so:
>- what happens if both interfaces - virtual and real have disciplines /
>filters ? Does packet traverse both (I'd assume, first through eth0.11 than
>through eth0) ?

Yes, it traverses both.
On the egress path, it traverses first eth0.11 and then eth0.
On the ingress path, it traverses first eth0 and then eth0.11

Regards
/Christian
[ http://benve.info ]