Re: Wan optimizations with linux

On 6/6/2007 8:19 PM, Diego Woitasen wrote:
I'm researching for WAN optimizations with linux. My network is composed for MPLS network connecting 200 branches against a central site. I use Linux machines to provide security with IPSEC in the branches and in the central site. Now I'm lookup for techniques for optimization the link. My first ideas was use IPCOMP and proxy to cache traffic of HTTP applications. Somebody have any other idea to get better utilization of WAN links with Linux?

I have never been a really big fan of trying to compress traffic on one side of a link and decompress it on the other side.

Something else to consider is what you are trying to optimize. Are you trying to get more bandwidth, or better latency, or what. If you are dealing with lots of long distance links, you may want to look in to playing with TCP window size(s) so that you can have more data in transit at one time with out pausing for acknowledgments.

I would recommend that you use QoS to make sure that your priority traffic is put through first and that the rest is shared as evenly as possible or as you want it to be.

Proxies, local replicating file servers, local store and forward email servers that can directly route messages, are all good things.

With out knowing more about your configuration, I can't offer much more than general things to look at.

Grant. . . .