Wan optimizations with linux

Hi,
 I'm researching for WAN optimizations with linux. My network is
composed for MPLS network connecting 200 branches against a central
site. I use Linux machines to provide security with IPSEC in the
branches and in the central site. Now I'm lookup for techniques for
optimization the link. My first ideas was use IPCOMP and proxy to
cache traffic of HTTP applications. Somebody have any other idea to
get better utilization of WAN links with Linux?

I had seen commercial appliances that do dictionary compression and
other cool things, but I don't want to use they.

regards,
  diegows