Re: Re: dropped bytes in "tc -s class" output

Ethy H. Brito wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:56:23 +0200
Christian Benvenuti <christian.benvenuti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Hi All

Is there any output that counts the number of dropped bytes
(not packets) just as in "Sent" in "tc -s class" output?
No.
A simple workaround (for simple configurations) consists of redirecting
all the traffic you want to drop to a dedicated class and attach a
blackhole qdisc (i.e., drop everything) to it.

Hmmm. I am pretty sure I did not tell what I meant.

I assume that at some point an HTB class will drop some packets that are
beyond its speed regulation, right?

Not always if it's got a really long queue tcp windows can be absorbed. You can choose queue length.

I just need to measure this amount of dropped bytes (not packets).

I don't think you can.

 With
this measure I can MRTG it and give the clients some felling that they
really need more bandwidth.

That would be a bit deceitful - TCP relies to some extent on dropped packets, how many you get depends on buffer lengths and number of connections. You could double the rate with a smaller buffer and see more dropped packets than a slower link with a bigger buffer.

Andy.