Re: tc questions

Alejandro Ramos Encinosa wrote:
Hi to all of you!!!

I am a Computer Science student trying to do the pre-grade thesis. I am trying to develop a free software tool to help administrators to control the traffic. Right now this tool is based on tc and iptables.
I am having some problems trying to understand tc and tc examples:
- Why in almost every list of tc rules based on htb class, there is a "tc qdisc dev ... root ... htb default ..." as a root node? Is it mandatory to work with htb class? - I understood that every class node has its own qdisc attached (fifo by default, right?). If that is the case, why when I do "tc qdisc show ..." it JUST shows me those qdisc I explicitly attached to classes without any child class?
- What should I expect if I run something like this?

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 10
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 100mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 90mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate 1kbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:20 classid 1:21 htb rate 10mbit

I guessed the traffic redirected to 1:21 should have 1kbit of rate at most (because of its parent 1:20), but when I ran this, I got a higher rate (because of the 10mbit rate, I guess). Why? Shouldn't parent classes restrict children's rate?

Thanks in advance. Regards, Ale.

In addition to what Christian said - have you seen the docs on the htb homepage -

http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/

and Steph Coene's work -

http://www.docum.org

Andy.