Re: Re: tc questions

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 13:13, Christian Benvenuti wrote:
> Hi Alejandro
Hi Christian!

> It is not mandatory to attach a HTB qdisc to the root. You can attach
> it to any classfull qdisc's cass.
Yes, I know. I was trying to ask why to attach htb qdisc instead of htb class
to the root. In fact, I really don't understand what means "htb qdisc" since
I just know htb as a classfull tc node, and (I guess) qdisc are classless tc
nodes (am I wrong?)

> You can only create HTB classes under a HTB qdisc, and you can only
> create CBQ classes under a CBQ class. However you can attach any
> qdisc to a given class.
> What is exactly that you find strange?
Well, I thought I just could attach qdisc nodes to class nodes, not viceversa,
and that's the case when attaching htb qdisc to the root and then, declaring
a child of the root as a htb class, doesn't it?

> Correct.
> To be exact, most qdiscs use Packet FIFO (pfifo) by default, but that's
> not a rule (there are exceptions).
Haha, well, that's why rules are for: to break them with exceptions ;)
...just kidding, of course!

> The default pFIFO qdisc that get attached to the classes are not
> shown by the above command.
...and which is the command that will show them??

> I would say that that is a misconfiguration.
> Neither the tc command nor the kernel gives you any warning.
> You could implement it as part of your project ... :)
I agree with you: it is a wrong configuration, and I need to deal with it as
part of my project. But I am able to run those lines, and I will get a
behavior, and I want to know if there is some kind of logic around it: ...how
it works??

> You are right. Class 1:20 does not limit the class 1:21's rate to 1kbit.
> This is due to the way the kernel schedules the HTB classes.
Could you (please) tell me more about how the kernel do this?

> Note that since you did not use the "ceil" config option, class 1:21
> gets by default "ceil" = "rate" = 10mbit, and therefore it can not
> borrow from its parent 1:20.
> There would be nothing to borrow anyway, since 1:20 is limited to
> 1kbit (rate=cel=1kbit).
>
> Regards
> /Christian
> [http://benve.info]