Re: Traffic Shaping over Satellite Internet

hi randy,

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 09:55 +0300, Randy Wallace wrote:
<snip>

> I have no way of knowing if our service provider
> uses SCPS, HughesNet is a maze of customer support personnel
> who don't know what a router is ;)

this is really critical to try to do any shaping ... many indoor units
have proprietary backbone  protocols -- the indoor unit can potentially
be spoofing ACKs and renegotiating tcp sessions and much more.

if you've got one these, about the most you can do is allocate the
bandwidth to clients, but not "optimize" the satellite connection -- the
modem can potentially be doing that.

this thesis is a bit old, but is still an excellent read:

http://www.tomh.org/thesis/thesis_front.pdf

cheers

charles