Problem attaching htb class to a htb qdisc

I'm trying to build a QoS system that would divide the outgoing traffic
into four categories, each one also subdivided into two more categories.
For that I chose a htb root qdisc subdivided into four classes, each of
these classes contains also a htb qdisc. Until these point everything
goes well, but when I try to attach a new class to the leaf htb qdisc a
problem with the sintaxis arises. Code follows:

        tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: htb default 30

        tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit

        tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit
        tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit
        tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit
        tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:40 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit

        tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:10 handle 10: htb default 12
        tc class add dev $DEV parent 10: classid 1:11 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit
        prio 1

        RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

        tc class add dev $DEV parent 10: classid 1:12 htb rate
        ${UPLINK}kbit
        prio 2

        RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

        tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:11 handle 11: sfq perturb 10
        tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:12 handle 12: sfq perturb 10

If I attach the classes to 1: instead of 10: everything goes well, but I
do not understand why I can't attach a class to 10:

Any help would be appreciated.