QoS IP precedence and Diffserv combination

All:

I am tasked with creating an environment in which DiffServ and IP
precedence is handled as close to RFC specification as possible.  I have
a few problems with implementing this based on current queueing
structure.  Here are a few of my questions.

1.)  Is there any way to get DiffServ AF drop levels without using
DSMARK and GRED?

Ex.
	AF11	Gred DP 1
	AF12	Gred DP 2
	AF13	Gred DP 3

2.)  Can I get traffic into GRED DP levels without using DSMARK?

3.)  It appears that DSMARK was designed to be the root queuing
discipline of an interface.  Is this true?

4.)  If you filter with DSMARK into a class the TOS value is copied into
Tcindex.  If you further filter that traffic into other imbeded classes
with a u32 filter on TOS; does it read the original value in the IP
header or the Tcindex value?

Ex.
	DSMARK as root

	HTB class  (tcindex filter gets traffic into HTB class)

	Imbedded prio classes under HTB (u32 TOS filter to put traffic
into priority queue)

Look forward to any comments...

Thanks!

Jon Flechsenhaar