Re: Modifying traffic shaping rates according to the amount of active users

On 2/18/07, Andrew Beverley <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to divide my bandwidth between different services, but I'd
> like to take into account the number of active users.

How about use HTB? Set the HTTP guaranteed rate to 80%, and the upper
(ceil) limit of other classes to 100%. This then means that if HTTP is
not using 80% of your link, then the spare bandwidth not used will be
shared between the other classes.

I'm trying to avoid a situation where a small group of users get most
of the bandwidth. If just 1% of my active users are using HTTP, then
I'd like to set its rate to 10%. If 10% of the active users are using
HTTP than limit HTTP to 50%, etc' up to 80%.

I'm trying to set dynamic rate limits according to the distribution of
IP addresses.

--
Ehud Shabtai
http://www.freemap.co.il/map/