Re: client disconnecting

I think that connection marking is limiting the idea behind the balancing that we want to do with this "routing for multiple providers".

Rune Kock wrote:
I have two connections to the Internet.

I implemented the load balancing as described in chapter 4.2 "Routing
for multiple uplinks/providers"
The problem that occurred is that the client applications like Yahoo
Messenger or even PuTTY (SSH client) are loosing the connection very often.

I had a similar problem with an internet game disconnecting exactly
every 10 minutes.

My theory is that the routing code may choose to switch the data to
the other provider, and that that breaks the connection.

I solved it by using connection marking, and then directing all marked
to the provider where they were originally marked.  I don't know the
exact commands to use because I used Shorewall, which can setup this
hack by simply specifying "track" (see
http://www.shorewall.net/MultiISP.html).

Even after doing that, some connections would still break after some
hours, but it was a lot better than before.

If you find out other things about this problem, I would very much
like to hear about it.

Rune