Re: HTB policing affects shaping performance? Please, help.

Bc.Slavomir Danas wrote:
 > I'm trying to access shared folders (samba) on ip 10.4.10.10 from my
> laptop with ip 172.16.0.2.
> Everything works as expected when downloading or uploading (correctly
> shaped and policed at 1Mbit). But when I try to download and upload at
> the same time, my speed drops down rapidly on both download and upload
> (approx. 350kbit and 550kbit). I tried to replace tc filter with
> iptables CLASSIFY but with the same result.
> What is the correct approach when configuring separate queues with
> guaranteed rate without affecting each other?

Your setup is ok. The only problem you are facing is that samba is a
very "chatty" program, it tends to communicate a lot outside of simply
downloading something. What i am trying to say is that, you will have
some upload when in reality you are downloading something. This being
true, when you begin uploading something, your upload line becomes full
and, the upload chat for the download slows down, this in turn slowing
down your download. I'm sorry if what I'm saying is hard to read. Try
using some other protocol to run your tests. I was using for this
purpose a Linux utility but i can't remember how it was called.

--
Radu Oprisan