Re: Re: GPL Software for Small ISP

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 23:01 +0200, Bogdan Hojda wrote:
> Andrew Beverley wrote:
> >>   It is not just browsing ...or HTTP... it is every thing... I want a
> >> GPL package for a small ISP
> >
> > I think you're probably limited in what you could cache other than HTTP.
> >
> > I suggest you have a look at some of the examples of fair traffic
> > shaping using linux. I can send you my script if you like - I have used
> > it to share a 1 Mbit link between about 70 people and it works fairly
> > well.
> >

> Could you send that script to me, please? I have about 150 people
> sharing a 2 Mbit link, I'm not satisfied with my old script, and I'm
> searching some alternatives.

I've attached it. Let me know if you have any questions.

A few notes:

- internet link is ppp0, local network is eth0
- local network is on a 10.0.0.0 subnet
- I use IFB to shape ingress traffic
- edit DOWNLINK and UPLINK variables as required
- You'll need to patch your kernel for connlimit and ipset (if you want
p2p detection)
- I also use Squid as a transparent web cache. Take those rules out if
you don't need them.

Regards,

Andy Beverley