Re: DGD patch not detecting dead gateway

 Hi!

 Thank you for the script. I'm trying it.

 Well, I made a simple modification and would like to hear opnions.
Until now, I just added one more TESTIP, so I'm pinging one IP for each link. Also I'm using the IP instead name address, and used the DNS IP of each provider
for the ping. I made this because the ping to external sites (yahoo, google) is too slow
here, mainly when the link is under heavy load. So I'm afraid it can try ping without success and "think" the link is down.
 Also, for don't get falses 'link down', did you tried to increase the number of 4
ping fails before replace the route? What do you think about?

 I appreciate suggestions,

 PS: although alteration be so simple, if someone want to see, tell me and I send a mail.

 Tom Lobato

Manish Kathuria wrote:
The script is appended. It assumes that you have followed the steps as
described in nano.txt with or without applying the patches. Though it
appears to be very simplistic, its working great at a number of
locations.

#!/bin/bash -x

TESTIP=www.yahoo.com
CHECK=0
ISPA=1
ISPB=1
LINKSTATUS=1
COUNTA=0
COUNTB=0
EXTIF1=eth1
EXTIF2=eth2
GW1=172.16.1.1
GW2=192.168.1.1
W1=1
W2=1

while : ; do

        ping -I $EXTIF1 -c 1 $TESTIP > /dev/null  2>&1
        RETVAL=$?
        if [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ]; then
                COUNTA=`expr $COUNTA + 1`
        else
                COUNTA=0
        fi

        if [ $COUNTA -ge 4 ]; then
                ISPA=0
        else
                ISPA=1
        fi

        ping -I $EXTIF2 -c 1 $TESTIP > /dev/null  2>&1
       RETVAL=$?
       if [ $RETVAL -ne 0 ]; then
               COUNTB=`expr $COUNTB + 1`
       else
               COUNTB=0
       fi

       if [ $COUNTB -ge 4 ]; then
               ISPB=0
       else
               ISPB=1
       fi

        if [ $ISPA -eq 1 ]; then
                if [ $ISPB -eq 1 ]; then
                        NEWSTATUS=1
                elif [ $ISPB -eq 0 ]; then
                        NEWSTATUS=2
                fi
        elif [ $ISPA -eq 0 ]; then
                if [ $ISPB -eq 1 ]; then
                        NEWSTATUS=3
                fi
        fi
case $LINKSTATUS in

        1)      if [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 2 ]; then
                        ip route replace default via $GW1 dev $EXTIF1
                elif [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 3 ]; then
                        ip route replace default via $GW2 dev $EXTIF2
                fi;;

        2)      if [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 1 ]; then
                        ip route del default
                        ip route replace default table 222 proto static \
                                nexthop via $GW1 dev $EXTIF1 weight $W1\
                                nexthop via $GW2 dev $EXTIF2 weight $W2
                elif [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 3 ]; then
                        ip route replace default via $GW2 dev $EXTIF2
                fi;;

        3)      if [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 1 ]; then
                        ip route del default
                        ip route replace default table 222 proto static \
                                nexthop via $GW1 dev $EXTIF1 weight $W1\
                                nexthop via $GW2 dev $EXTIF2 weight $W2
                elif [ $NEWSTATUS -eq 2 ]; then
                        ip route replace default via $GW1 dev $EXTIF1
                fi;;

        *)      echo;;
esac

        LINKSTATUS=$NEWSTATUS
        sleep 10
done

Let me know if you can think of any improvements or modifications.