Re: Linux as a multicast router

On Sunday 14 January 2007 20:41, Emin Gencpinar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We want linux (ubuntu) with 2.6 kernel to act as multicast router and to
> pass multicast packets between different subnets. And linux machine as
> router has two network cards having two different subnets assigned onto. We
> first worked
> "sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1"
> line on linux shell that made linux to work as unicast router. (like host,
> the multicast packets were discarded at NIC). Then at weekend we heard
> about
>
> "sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forward=1"
> line that is said to satisfy multicast routing requirement, but we did not
> try this yet. Is this last line enough to work linux as multicast router ?

No, you need some kind of routing daemon for multicast forwarding/routing.
Look for "mrouted" or "zebra".

There is a HowTo for multicast, but no big infos on multicast
forwarding/routing ....

http://www.linuxjunkies.org/html/Multicast-HOWTO.html

> There is also one alternative we found: XORP ( Open Source IP Router )
> http://www.xorp.org/livecd.html#getting
> But this works from live cd. We want to also use linux shell at the same
> time. And also we did not try this tool yet.

Sorry, no clue about this. But if it is a Linux based live cd i'm sure you,
can also install it on disk :)

> It is enough to use the linux as router, we do not consider the router
> algorithms or any other thing.

regards,
         Tami