Re: Linux as T1 router

On 01/12/07 12:25, gerryw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am thinking about using a linux server as a T1 router. I have searched the list, but have not found a discussion about what I'm trying to do. I have a situation where the Cisco router I'm using will not handle the additional bandwidth I added recently. Unfortunately, I cannot afford the Cisco unit that will. I would like to know if anyone has successfully done this. I have been looking at the Sangoma T1 cards. Would anyone be so kind as to share their experience in this area. Any advice would be much appreciated.

What you are proposing should not be a problem at all. I personally have not used Linux as a T1 router (yet). Consider if you will that there are people using Linux to filter / bridge / rate limit / you name it with gigabit network interfaces, so I don't think the 1.5 Mbps that a T1 will present will be a problem at all. My only concern would be in which card you choose and what sort of interface it presents to the system in addition to what sort of management tools you have available. I would recommend that you try to stay away from proprietary vendor provided drivers. Not that they will not work, but how many different kernel versions will they support? Will you be able to do what you want to do with it down the road, or will you be locked in to a specific configuration?

Just my $.02 worth.

Grant. . . .