Re: Concerning IP over ATM & IP over Ethernet.

Brenda Lindsay Williams wrote:
Hi there.I'm Brenda from the Australia,I wanna work on a project relating to VOIP QoS.I wanna evaluate IP over ATM against IP over Ethernet on the following parameters relating to voice and video traffic;

bandwidth consumption
packet loss
packet delay(latency)
jitter
traffic thoroughput

Is this project feasible?Can I use NS to simulate the models?I hope you reply.Thanks.

Do some reading on the 'patch to allow for the ATM "cell tax"' thread previously this year. I think you will find some links to some good information on what you are wanting to do. Something to keep in mind is the difference between Classical IP directly on an ATM VC verses Bridged Ethernet (RFC 1483 / 2684) and it's associated PPPoE there in.. There is also ATM LAN Emulation to content with.

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2006q1/018287.html

Grant. . . .