multilink/multiprovider load balancing

Lately I've been entertaining the idea of setting up a neighborhood
network (wireless and possibly some wired).  I have a few neighbors
who subscribe to your typical consumer grade broadband connection
(e.g. Comcast cable or Verizon DSL) and a number of neighbors with no
connectivity or are still stuck on dial-up.  Currently I'm sharing my
connection with my nearest neighbor but I'd like to expand the network
and incorporate the uplinks of the willing.  I'm no networking guru
but I'm pretty sure this is entirely possible with Linux's networking
capabilities.

I've taken a look at the LARTC HOWTO and found the "Routing for
multiple uplinks/providers" very helpful.  What I would like to know
is if this is still the best way to accomplished what is described.  I
know that state of Linux networking changes rapidly and I wasn't sure
how up to date this section is.  I know that there have been advances
in projects such as LVS where I can possibly see IPVS being useful (I
may be wrong, like I said I'm no guru).

So, assuming I have a Linux server (e.g. Linksys WRT54G) at each cable
or DSL uplink is the method described in the HOWTO still what I should
be looking at?

If this is the solution I should be looking at it would seem that I
would need to build tunnels from each one of the uplinks to a central
gateway as the documentation assumes that all the uplinks are local to
the gateway/router.  Is there any way around this?

Thank you for your help.  Assuming that I manage to get something like
this up and running I do plan on writing detailed documentation for
others who may be interested in setting up a similar headache.

--adam