Re: questions about HFSC, VoIP and (dynamic) ingress shaping

Hello Daniel,

> > If you don't want to patch the kernel and your machine has only two
> > network interfaces you can shape the outgoing traffic to the internal
> > interface instead of the incoming traffic to the internal interface. I
> > have an example script here:
> >
> > http://downloads.angulosolido.pt/QoS/HTB_shaper_adv.sh
> >
> > It uses HTB for shapping though.
>
> Sorry, I should have explained a little more detailed: (Nearly) all
> download traffic is initiated by the machine itself, so I can't use the
> "limiting the clients" trick here.

Ah... I see...

> > > Question 4: Is it possible to control what packets are dropped?
> >
> > Depends if you know the ports they use. If you know it, you just have to
> > mark them accordingly.
> >
> > For example with skype it's a pain in the ass,
>
> The only voip traffic (over ppp0) is produced by an asterisk server (on the
> same machine). I know all used ports (SIP and RTP) and for outgoing packets
> I already mark them with iptables.

So you can match the to the appropriate class.

> > > My idea: A script that periodically (or even better: triggered by
> > > asterisk) controls the parameters for the ingress shaper (depending on
> > > the actual upload traffic produced by voip which could easily be
> > > measured with tc).
> > >
> > > Question 5: Is that possible? Is this necessary at all? Is there
> > > already a solution?
> >
> > I don't think you need this. A setup with HTB solves this problem, since
> > each traffic class has a defined RATE as well as a defined CEIL rate,
> > which it will take whenever available.
>
> But then I need IMQ and a patched kernel, right?

For the script I pointed you don't need it, because HTB is part of the
standard kernel.

However for your case, where most of the incoming traffic goes directly to the
router machine I think so.

If you decide to go that way, take a look at this howto:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/index.html

Boa sorte!
Gustavo

> > Best regards
> > Gustavo
>
> Muito obrigado pela sua ajuda ...
> Daniel

 Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt