Re: questions about HFSC, VoIP and (dynamic) ingress shaping

Hello, Gustavo,

thank you for your answer.

Am Montag, 31. Juli 2006 00:52 schrieb Gustavo Homem:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 11:09:04PM +0200, Daniel Musketa wrote:
[...]
> > This qdisc only affects outgoing traffic. But I also want to control
> > incoming packets and keep the isp's queue empty.
> >
> > Question 2: What is the best solution for doing this: ingress qdisc, IMQ,
> > ... (thers's only one link to isp)?
>
> If you don't want to patch the kernel and your machine has only two network
> interfaces you can shape the outgoing traffic to the internal interface
> instead of the incoming traffic to the internal interface. I have an
> example script here:
>
> http://downloads.angulosolido.pt/QoS/HTB_shaper_adv.sh
>
> It uses HTB for shapping though.

Sorry, I should have explained a little more detailed: (Nearly) all download
traffic is initiated by the machine itself, so I can't use the "limiting the
clients" trick here.

> > Much traffic on this line is UDP traffic (OpenVPN).
> >
> > Question 3: If I do policing on incoming traffic, do UDP transmissions
> > care about dropping and reduce transmit speed?
>
> I don't think so, unless that is implemented at the application level. The
> UDP packets shouldn't be dropped unless that's acceptable to a certain
> extend (VoIP) or the application resends as necessary.

I am sure OpenVPN resends dropped packets (sooner or later) but don't know yet
if it adapts its transmit rate to the rate of the reply packets ...

> > If I begin to control incoming traffic I only want to drop packets that
> > are non voip traffic.
> >
> > Question 4: Is it possible to control what packets are dropped?
>
> Depends if you know the ports they use. If you know it, you just have to
> mark them accordingly.
>
> For example with skype it's a pain in the ass,

The only voip traffic (over ppp0) is produced by an asterisk server (on the
same machine). I know all used ports (SIP and RTP) and for outgoing packets I
already mark them with iptables.

> > My idea: A script that periodically (or even better: triggered by
> > asterisk) controls the parameters for the ingress shaper (depending on
> > the actual upload traffic produced by voip which could easily be measured
> > with tc).
> >
> > Question 5: Is that possible? Is this necessary at all? Is there already
> > a solution?
>
> I don't think you need this. A setup with HTB solves this problem, since
> each traffic class has a defined RATE as well as a defined CEIL rate, which
> it will take whenever available.

But then I need IMQ and a patched kernel, right?

> Best regards
> Gustavo

Muito obrigado pela sua ajuda ...
Daniel