Re: Weird HTB behaviour in 2.6.17

Andy Furniss wrote:
> Marlon Dutra wrote:
>
>> lended: 150 borrowed: 5077 giants: 3986
>> tokens: -14728330 ctokens: -21365
>>
>>> Regardless 11678670/2711 > 1500 so specify your mtu next to every rate
>>> and ceil.
>>
>> I created the class with "mtu 1500" and the result is above, same
>> behaviour. Afaik, the default mtu is 1600.
>>
>> By the way, my ethernet MTU is 1500.
>>
>> How can I prevent those giants?
>

> It seems there is a problem with some nics not obeying mtu then (I mean
> ifconfig/ip mtu) maybe it's to do with tso or something.

Right, the "problem" is related to TCP segmentation offloading (or
GSO in current kernels). The card gets large chunks of data and is
responsible for creating MTU-sized packets, which essentially means
qdiscs get to see those large chunks of data. You can disable TSO
using ethtool (but it will cost you performance) or configure your
qdisc appropriately.