Egress shaping recommendations (based on source ip)

I'm trying to set up customer egress shaping on concentrator that customers
connect to using pptp (which uses pppd).  This means customers each have a
pppXXX interface when they connect.  It's easy to shape their "down" speed
this way, and when they disconnect the interface is gone and thus the
shaping rules automatically go away as well.

However, shaping their upload (traffic that forwards from their ppp
interface and out the ethernet interface on the server) is a different
matter and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I was planning to do this with CBQ... initially I created a root qdisc with
the full Ethernet bandwidth available.

I created two classes below that, one with the full bandwidth available, and
one with only 9Mbps available (internet bandwidth we have at this site).

To the 9Mbps class, I want to attach child classes limited to the rate plan
each customer is assigned.  These classes should be created when the
customer connects, and removed when they disconnect.  I will create a filter
based on "ip src" and point to the appropriate class for each customer.

The problem I'm running into is that when I customer disconnects, I cannot
find a "clean" way to remove their associated classes and filters.  I would
like to be able to do simply delete the class I created for them and have
all the attached filters automatically removed as well... kind of like how
you can delete the root qdisc and everything below is removed automatically.

However, this doesn't seem to work.  You have to delete the filters first
before removing any classes.

Instead of using classes should I be looking at using child qdisc's and
attaching filters directly to those (if that can be done)?

Just trying to avoid a situation on a busy server where a tc command fails
and I'm left with stale filters and classes.

Ray