RE: Not understanding network setup!!

[mailto:lartc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of ramsurrunv@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:32 PM
> To: Martin A. Brown
> Cc: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ramsurrunv@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE:  Not understanding network setup!!
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> > How many times (or how quickly) do you need to do this?  I have a
> > somewhat simple-minded solution for you, but it doesn't scale, and
> > may not actually solve you problem(s).
>
> I actually need this for as long as the machine communicates with
other
> PCs.
>
> > If you are looking at inbound traffic to one of your servers, that
> > can be a bit trickier.
>
> I have to capture those three packets for each and every TCP stream
that
> is initiated. Also, I'm looking only for outbound communication, i.e
> emanating from the PC on which I'm trying to catch the packets. So the
ACK
> packet will be generated on the PC itself. But the problem how do I
> capture that particular ACK packet and not the other ACK packets
during
> data transfer phase, w/o keeping track of IP address/port no. pairs.

The way I would do this is write a small userspace capturing tool that
runs as a daemon all the time and watches the packets as they traverse
the machine. I have written a small libpcap based program which does
something similar. You are free to use whatever code you need from it as
long as the code will not be included in anything that is resold:

http://eliot.kayandee.net/traflog.php

This program simply counts traffic on a per-MAC and per-IP basis. It
also provides both MAC->IP and IP->MAC lookup tables. It should be
fairly trivial (as in no more than a days worth of work) to modify it to
suit your needs.

Eliot Gable
Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA)
Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
CompTIA Security+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified
Network and System Engineer
Great Lakes Internet, Inc.
112 North Howard
Croswell, MI 48422
(810) 679-3395
(877) 558-8324

Now offering Broadband Wireless Internet access in Croswell, Lexington,
Brown City, Yale, Worth Township, and Sandusky. Call for details.