Re: HFSC and prioritization

Jody Shumaker wrote:
> My understanding of HFSC is limited, but i'm fairly sure its similar
> to all other qdiscs in one respect that would make the config you have
> shown, not actually work as you've described. Each of those HFSC
> qdiscs is a seperate entity, no sharing will occur between those HFSC
> classes because each one belongs to a different qdisc. If you
> implemented this,  the priority portion would likely work, but if all
> 3 classes were sending they would be trying for their individual max,
> resulting in a combined total send of 3072kbps.

Correct.

> If you want what
> you've described then there would need to be some sort of way to
> define that same priority within one HSFC between the classes.  I know
> HTB has the prio parameter but I've never found good documentation on
> HSFC and don't know if it has an equivalent.

HFSC doesn't support strict priorities (and neither does HTB, the
priorities just affect unused bandwidth and is still limited by the
ceiling). At least in the case of HFSC this is intentional, strict
priority is not very friendly because it allows traffic to be
entirely excluded, HFSC's goals are to enable flexible sharing by
allowing to seperately specify bandwidth and delay requirements.
If you really want strict priority you can use the prio qdisc as
_child_ of HFSC.

> Of course all of what I said would be wrong if HSFC has inter-qdisc
> communication but I highly doubt that as it seems to go against the
> design of most qdiscs.
>
> What is there for good HSFC documentation out there right now anyways?

There is the original papers by Hui Zhang et al., which is mostly
about the theory and not very suitable for users - but still worth
reading if you're not scared by use of some math.
There used to be some documentation called "HFSC for Router Plugins",
which is partially applicable for Linux .. and some ALTQ and *BSD
documentation which is partially applicable as well. Besides that
there seem to be a few german student research projects about this
subject, but all I know of are in german. Last thing I know of is
an article written by a friend of mine for the german Linux Magazin,
unfortunately also only in german, but reviewed by myself and mostly
correct (klaus.geekserver.net/hfsc/hfsc.html) - translations are
welcome :)