Settings DS field: Does it make sense?

Hi all

I can set the DS field to EF of outgoing VoIP RTP
packets, but does it makes any sense to routers? Do
routers look at the DS field for routing decisions or
do routers classify packets based on other criteria
and subsequently sets the DS field?

I'm bit of confused here, could somebody give me some
light here.

Thanks.

Regards
Unga