Re: Load-banancing. two ip's from one isp - solution

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 21:32 +0200, Szymon Mroofka wrote:

> I'll patch when I'll upgrading kernel or if there will be such need maby very
> soon. For now I'm tired of compiling and instaling new kernel it takes too
> long on my old and slow box ;).

Yeah been there and done that. So long as you do not run into issues.
The patches should cause no harm being in place. If anything could help
out in some scenarios.

> Yes... no nat needed.

That was just part of how Julians patches fixed things to work? But if
it's not needed or does not apply in your case. Then great.

> My box is only used as a desktop so I don't need to care about any errors,
> this will not couse any problem like in big networks or companys where people
> need to have access to the internet all the time.

Yeah I was load balancing two SDSL lines for my servers. So it was
critical I resolved any bugs, or minor issues. As it could work fine for
a while, till a cache got flushed or etc. Then all hell would break
lose.

> I thing I've done it by in my script:
>          ip route append prohibit default table wew metric 1 proto static
>          ip route append prohibit default table zew metric 1 proto static

Just a safety net in case the default cant be reached. Ideally it was
routed already per the preceding rule. If that does not happy, safety
net. So you do not have to wait for a time out or etc.

> I'm using iptables to mark packets for htb so it should be easy to add few new
> rules and use it in routing... I hope it will be.... but I'm afraid that
> becouse of I can't use PRERUTING chain (only local packets OUTPUT chain)
> there may be some problems with it.... I'll check it soon.

Ah shaping and etc. On my list, just don't want to go limiting a service
unnecessarily. One of these days :) Then again I said that years ago and
it never happened :)

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.