Delay when changing DNAT rules

Whenever I add or remove a DNAT rule such as:

iptables -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.1

there is sometimes a delay before the correct nat'ing is done. Can anyone tell
me why this is? Is it something to do with caching of routing tables? If so, is
there a way to clear them to ensure that the rule takes effect immediately?

I am building a simple captive portal solution for my network. By default people
are directed to the local web server as per the rule above, and once logged in
they are allowed access to the web. When logging in the user is directed to
their choice of webpage, but this is often not displayed and instead the
connection is routed once again to the local web server as above. Even deleting
the DNAT rule altogether seems to sometimes take a while to update.

Andy