Multicast love

I am trying to get multicast traffic to traverse 3 different subnets
call connected to the same linux router.  This is primarily to get
rendezvous/zeroconf services working for Macs on the network.  Being
able to experiment with the VideoLAN client's multicasting abilities
would be a bonus.

I see that rendezvous sends out packets with a TTL of 1 and expects
them back with a TTL of 255 so I guess I will have to do some packet
mangling in iptables.

The limited documentation out there recommends running a multicast
router like PimD.  What does this add to the setup?  Surely it's just a
cast of some iptables rules allowing 224/4 between networks?

Am I missing the point here?  Any good documents on multicast?

S.
--
Simon Tennant ________________ http://imaginator.com/~simon/contact