Re: Patch to allow for the ATM "cell tax"

Andreas Hasenack said:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:18:00AM -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
classful for a while and I find a tbf with a prio under it works
quite well for my

>> > tbf qdisc is classfull?
>>
>> It has been since like 2.6.9, yes.  I was as surprised as you, but I use it
>> with a leaf prio all the time and have for a year now.
>
> If this is correct, then the docs are really in bad shape. They are not
only outdated, but just plain wrong in many cases.

Yes.

> But tbf is still not your regular classfull qdisc, or I'm missinterpreting
things:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: tbf rate ${RATE}kbit \
  burst 1600 limit 1
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:1 handle 2: prio bands 4
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 2:1 handle 10: pfifo limit 10
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 2:2 handle 20: pfifo limit 10
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 2:3 handle 30: pfifo limit 10
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 2:4 handle 40: tbf rate \
  $(($RATE-32))kbit burst 1600 limit 1
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 40:1 handle 33: sfq perturb 1

But, you're right.  Classful is probably the wrong way of saying it.

Perhaps I meant you can attach a different queueing disipline besides using
tbf.  It's more like tbf has a nested bfifo attached, which you can replace
with anything you want since around 2.6.9.

I guess I'm used to using prio and tbf, where you can attach various leaf
qdiscs and have more leaf qdiscs attached.  It's certainly not the same
thing as cbq, htb, or hfsc.  Oops.  My bad.

It's still a useful approach I find, though.  For a single user I found a
prio, but limited by tbf, works quite well for my DSL connection.  The ATM
"cell tax" is the final barrier I'm hoping to break down soon.  I've just
been too lazy to mess with it.  I had Ed's patch for DSL for `tc` a while
ago, but I was too lazy to patch it back into recent Debian iproute packages
and then rebuild.