Multicast only working in promiscuous mode

Hi,

I am trying to set up a uPnP server on a Linux box (Debian Sarge Stable kernel 2.6.8). uPnP
works using multicast packages for locating servers.

This does however seem to fail unless I set the relevant NIC in promiscuous mode. If I do so,
it works well.

I have added

ip route add 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth0

and
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

and the kernel is set up to enable multicast (and routing), extract from the .config of the
kernel:

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
# CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV is not set
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_NET_KEY=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_FWMARK=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_NAT=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_VERBOSE=y
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=y
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE=y
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE_BROADCAST=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V1=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V2=y
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_INET_AH=y
CONFIG_INET_ESP=y
CONFIG_INET_IPCOMP=y

The server is also used as a firewall using iptables and iproute2 and thus also serves as a
gateway for the uPnP clients.

Something is missing, and I do not want the NIC to be in promiscuous mode permanently if it
can be avioded. What do I do wrong?

Regards

Henrik