Re: HTB, strange capacity distribution

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 05:00:12AM +0100, Boris Gereg wrote:
> I did what you suggested and the results are as expected!
> You can see this picture to verify: http://elusion.sk/visual_inet_7.png
>
> At 4:25 I started HTTP download. P2P class immediately droped down to
> it's RATE, WWW class got it's RATE. At 4:33 I stopped HTTP download,
> P2P class got rest of capacity.

Alright. I suggest you do some measuring, to find out your real rates,
and set HTB rates to be slightly lower so that you are the bottleneck.
Most likely you'll have to experiment a little until you find the best
setting for your setup.

> Please, are there some hints for setting r2q or quantum parameters?

Actually, I specify the quantum directly, with 'quantum $MTU'
for every class. I don't know wether that's a good thing or a
bad thing, but it worked very well for me, and seems to work
well for others... at least nobody reported a problem to me so
far that could be traced to be caused by this quantum setting.

It should not be smaller than your MTU, and not too big.

With a huge difference in rates (100Mbit vs 64kbit) there is no r2q
that will fit all classes. So there is no other way as to set quantum
directly at least for some classes (and I set it for all...).

Regards
Andreas Klauer