Re: even bandwith for users on 2 newtworks

>>> No, attaching to the input is just as easy as to the output. The
>>> reason that isn't implemented is that it wouldn't really be useful.
>> You are full of it.
>
> If "it"=="knowledge", then you're probably right.

No, I was aiming more for BS.

> Since you only talk about dropping packets and never about queues,

Well, naturally the way to decide what packets to drop is to have it go
though various queues, but in the end it's all about dropping packets.

> the following has been available for years in mainline kernels:
> http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.adv-filter.policing.html

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's useless, there is no way
to set up a HTB tree and assign SFQ's to each leaf like you can on the
outbound traffic.

On my network I have 41 subnets, each a /24 and each subnet needs to get a
fair share of both inboud and outbound bandwidth.

The 41 subnets are accessed from the gateway via 3 different network
interfaces.

Outbound shaping is easy and correct, there is just one HTB tree with an
SFQ for each subnet.

Inbound shaping is ugly and incorrect, because I have to have 3 different
HTB trees (one for each internal interface) that each has to get 1/3
(actually weighted by number of subnets behind each interface) of the
total bandwidth.

That means that max downstream is 800kb/s for the users where it ought to
be 1600kb/s, which sucks because most traffic to the users is very bursty.

It would have been a much nicer design to be able to put the 3 inbound HTB
trees into one inbound tree on the external interface, just like the
outbound tree.

Ingress shaping *is* very useful and it's a pity that Linux has taken this
long to gain support for it.

--
Flemming Frandsen, NrVissing.Net administrator.