Re: even bandwith for users on 2 newtworks

Flemming Frandsen schrieb:
> Hariett Jones wrote:
>
>> I want server to share bandwith from eth0 evenly for users on eth1
>> and wlan0. How can i make it ? Is it possible ? As far as i know htb
>> splits outgoing bandwith on one device only.
>
> This is the most braindead defect of Linux (IMHO): You can't, because
> you can only shape outgoing traffic on an interface.

Yes, you can. Easily. And you don't need IMQ/IFB.

eth1->eth0 and wlan0->eth0 are easy. Classical outgoing shaping.
eth0->eth1 and eth0->wlan0 are similar. Outgoing shaping on eth1 and
wlan0 each with a limit of half the incoming bandwidth of eth0.

I had to learn that Linux can perform most of the tasks people claim
are impossible. Some involve a lot of iproute2 trickery and even the
standard Howtos may tell you the problems can't be solved.

However, there are some cases where IMQ/IFB is useful. I don't want
to bash these intermediary devices, they're just abused too many
times.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--