Re: guarantee package delivery

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:41:31AM +0300, Vladimir S. Petukhov wrote:
> Moreover - packets must not be dropped!

Sorry for this useless answer, but... How strong is this condition?

I mean, even if you don't drop a packet locally, it can still be
dropped by the target machine, or by one of the routers in between.
You have no influence on that whatsoever, so no matter what you do,
your application must be able to handle dropped packets.

If you think about it that way, is it still critical when a packet
gets dropped locally? If not, you could just do this the usual way.

> One of the obviously decisions: Module (kernel) must inform
> userspace about current bandwidth or data amout, that programm can be send
> this moment.

Does the kernel even know about that?

Regards,
Andreas Klauer